Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A presto... my two friends


So, I may have made a rash decision... no, a stupid decision... no, an impossible decision. I decided to give up Diet Coke and chocolate for Lent. What? For most people, chocolate would be the hard part, but I just threw that in for good measure. Chocolate is like a friend who you see very infrequently, so waiting until April is no big deal. But, Diet Coke is probably my one true vice. I don't drink very often, I have never smoked, I have never done drugs. But every time I drink Diet Coke I ALWAYS think two things: "I know those chemical ingredients are slowly mutating my insides" and "I love this stuff." Every time.

And yes, I actually prefer the taste of Diet Coke to regular. For the past five years I have been sharply focused on eating healthy (I follow Weight Watchers) and working out. I am a dedicated health nut. Diet Coke is the one zero-calorie treat I get. However, my treat has gotten out of hand... I drink three or four a day. Now, it's time for a break. Last year for Lent, I gave up Diet Coke (except on Thursdays), but now I am going cold turkey. A real aspertame fast. It's 9:04 a.m. on Ash Wednesday, and so far, so good.

I'll keep you posted.

Diet Coke (in italiano) is Coca-Cola Light.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Good luck and hang in there! You can do it! I just read this great article about Lent this morning: http://blog.sojo.net/2010/02/17/lent-isnt-about-denial-its-about-transformation/

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey elizabeth! I just found your blog and thought I'd say hello! I can't believe YOU are giving up Diet Coke! haha. but I'm sure you'll have no problem following through... for me, it would be much more difficult to give up the chocolate. I had a serious craving the other day and with no chocolate around the house, I made a dash to the store and bought a Lindt bar. yup, I have a problem! :)

    p.s. so exciting that you will be going to Italy this summer! can you pack me in your suitcase? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so adding this to my reader. Can't wait to see your posts

    ReplyDelete