Monday, April 12, 2010

21 days, exactly


The last few minutes of the this day are dripping away. It's Monday, which most people lament. But not me. Not this Monday.

For the past five years, I have worked almost every single Monday on the evening shift at KTLA. And I have loved it. Every single second of it. There is nothing like a breaking news story: those that matter to a community (like a fire); but especially those that matter to the world (like the death of Michael Jackson). I was there for all of it, and I wouldn't have had it any other way. But as of last week, I am officially on hiatus from my free-lance position at the station as I prepare for my trip to the Big Boot. So, today, this Monday is different.

I am full-time professor and media adviser at Pepperdine University, and that is where much of my heart lies. So, I am still working, full-time. But today, instead of finishing class and racing to a doctor's appointment or to KTLA or some other pressing obligation... I went home. Well, I stopped to buy a new pair of running shoes, and then I went home.

I cleaned the apartment, graded papers, went grocery shopping, went for a three-mile walk with Ian, made dinner and then went for a late-night run (my favorite). Now, I am writing. As the evening progressed... I kept thinking, "This is the way normal people live. It's nice." I haven't always worked so much, but I have always kept myself busy, and it's nice to catch my breathe.

I have no delusions, that my life is slowing down. In fact, these next few weeks are packed with lunches, dinners, parties, grading, graduation... and a very precious wedding. But today (and tonight) I took a deep breathe. It was nice... very, very nice.

To breathe= respirare

No comments:

Post a Comment